Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Rich Expats

You know the ones.

They live in fancy houses and drive fancy cars that they probably never have to drive themselves. They don't just have one maid they have several and in addition to that they have a personal assistant, a go-fer and someone waiting in the wings to do whatever is told of them.

They live in Mexico but you know.....not really. Because they never really have to deal with stuff.

They never learn a lick of Spanish and they never have to do the every day mundane things that make us normal folk go fucking mad from day to day. They don't have to deal with utility companies or hacienda or immigration. They don't have to even get gas or bring their car to the mechanic. They don't have to wonder where to get that one part for that one thing they bought, because that's someone else's job. They don't even have to pick up the phone and order a pizza, because they don't speak Spanish and someone else will do it for them anyway! They never miss the things from back home because when they do, they simply....go back home and get them.

Having money and living in Mexico sure makes things easy....and of course....less stressful. I've done things myself and gone absolutely mad.

I've also paid someone else to do things for me. Like pay for my tenencias or hook up my telmex, just for PEACE OF MIND. You know, so I don't fricken lose it. The BS involved in doing these things is something I do not have the patience for. I've learned this and prefer to pay (with money) for my sanity.

But you know,
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I can still order a fucking pizza by myself!

Except they don't deliver in my area because apparently it doesn't exist in their system.........

Figures!

6 Comments:

  • At 3:07 AM, March 26, 2008, Blogger Fned said…

    Right on girl!

    But you know what annoys more than Rich Expats?

    Rich Mexicans that ACT like Rich Expats... They do all the little annoying things you mention but live in Miami or Los Angeles and only come down to Mexico when they're bored or in the mood for home made enchiladas. Or they live in Monterrey but fly over the border to buy their toothpaste...

    Urgh!
    Fned.

     
  • At 12:40 PM, March 26, 2008, Blogger Islagringo said…

    Have you met my neighbor? Describing him to a fault! He even has home delivery of his mota! The laziness. Can't even be bothered to go and make his own frickin drug deals! (LOL!)

     
  • At 8:39 AM, March 27, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, I've always had the feeling that people like this exist, but I've never come across them.

    This is probably a good thing, as I'd probably want to punch them in the face.

    I've been thinking lately about what truly motivates people to move to Mexico or another foreign country, and I do think that it's something deeper than the weather and the pace of life.

    I imagine that for this type of person you write about it could be as simple as being able to hire cheap help. I mean, my first thought was "Why do they even live in Mexico and not Florida?" I think the answer is that in Florida there is recourse for the employee if the employer pays them and treats them like shit whereas in Mexico, they have free reign to hire as many people and pay them as little as possible.

    I really like to believe in karma, and hope that it comes back to bite them in the ass.

     
  • At 9:15 AM, March 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's funny you use the ordering of pizza as a small benchmark of an expat's ability to "be" in Mexico. It's funny for me to look back now and remember how terrified it used to make me to call for a pizza, how I'd painstakingly write down the names of the ingredients, practice my pronunciation, and argue with Michael about whose "turn" it was to subject themselves to the horror of the pizza ordering. Now neither of us think twice before calling to ask someone for anything. Ah Growth.

    And the rich ex-pats who live here without really living here remind me of the tourists who come to "Mexico" and then stay at one of those high-end remote resorts and never go off of it, and only get spoken to in English. I know the pampering would probably be nice, but if I'm going to another country, I want to enjoy at least a little bit of the "real" thing.

     
  • At 10:30 AM, March 28, 2008, Blogger My Way said…

    There is something about ordering pizza in Cancun that is just a pain in the ass whether you speak Spanish or not.

    They can never get your order right. Nor your name. Nor your address. It's like a royal pain in the arse no matter what.

     
  • At 11:03 AM, March 28, 2008, Blogger Fned said…

    Honey, don't come to Paris. They make it a POINT of honor to screw up any order when it comes to fast food!

    It's like your burning the French flag by perfering junk food over "zeir wonderful fwrench cuisine".... :p

    Fned.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home