Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Monday, March 24, 2008

It's The Agua Truck! Run!!!!

At lunch time I heard the Agua truck down the street. They were honkin and screaming "Agua Electropura".

By the time I got up I realized they were about to round the corner and miss my apartment when I freaked out, ran faster, whistled and yelled, "THREE!!!!".

I've got one question for myself.

Q: "Did you forget what country you were in?"

A: "Yes, but only for the amount of time it took to say "three" instead of "tres". Then I realized if I wasn't in this country, I'd probably not be running out the door when I heard the Agua Electropura truck, and I would simply be drinking right out the tap."

Ok then. Just checking.

And just in case you were wondering.....the man held up 3 fingers and confirmed that I wanted THREE garrafones. Smart chap that Electropura guy. Glad he figured out what the stupid white (but very tanned) girl was saying.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:43 PM, March 24, 2008, Blogger CancunCanuck said…

    LOL, you crack me up white girl. I think it's those moments of panic that make us scream out in English, too bad for me it's often "Watch out!", someone just may die if I can't get it together enough to scream "Cuidado!"

     
  • At 7:13 AM, March 25, 2008, Blogger 'Eddie Willers' said…

    You have a truck delivery service? You lucky people! Tampico centro lost that many years ago as sensible folk moved out.

    Now we have to take the empties to HEB (cheap but far) or a local Oxxo (close but expensive).

     
  • At 9:13 AM, March 25, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This cracked me up! Cancun Canuck is right--it's panic mode that brings out our English. It's like how when I get really, really mad at someone here, I can't think of one thing to say to them in Spanish, so I just walk away with smoke coming out of my ears.

     
  • At 1:14 PM, March 25, 2008, Blogger Brice said…

    I had the opposite experience here in Canada...

    When I came back from vacationing in Cuba, I'd catch myself speaking Spanish (by accident) to my cats.
    Then again, I guess it's no different than speaking to them in any human language...

     
  • At 5:29 PM, March 25, 2008, Blogger My Way said…

    Yeah I do that too. I start speaking Spanish to my pets and then I say out loud, "Oh sorry, you only speak ENGLISH and don't understand any Spanish!". Cuz you know....they aren't quite bilingual yet....I blame myself really.

     
  • At 3:00 AM, March 26, 2008, Blogger Fned said…

    ahahaha! Your post reminded me of the time I was walking on the street and this guy tried to cop a feel.... Coming from the champion country of "torteadas" I saw it coming light years away and my first reaction was to yell out in spanish:

    "que ni siquiera se te ocurra pendejo, o te parto la madre!"

    He just stood there blinking with his hand in mid air as if I'd spoken chinese (I guess for him it was the same thing)....

    ... as I walked away I wondered how come I spoken in Spanish when I'm perfectly capable of cursing in French now (thanks to my loving potty mouth hubby!)....

    I guess self persevation isn't bilingual.

    Fned.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, March 29, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hubby is in favor of yelling "Agua" back at the guy. He usually gets it. Lol.

     
  • At 9:19 PM, March 30, 2008, Blogger Theresa in Mèrida said…

    eddie, ya wanna be really jealous, our water guys knock on our gate, they deliver Mondays and Thursdays. We have an arrangement, where we leave our garafons out where they can see them through the gate (but no one can steal them), so they come back in the afternoon if we're not home. It's the Crystal guys. Oh, a garafon just went up to $20 pesos, when we first came here it was $15.
    We always give them 100 pesos at Christmas because they are such good guys.
    regards,
    Theresa

     

Post a Comment

<< Home