Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Interesting Mexican Spider

WARNING: Stay away JJ.

Lately I've been seeing a lot of these really cool spiders around my apartment. I've seen one before but it was a few years back. A lot of us talk about how there is this new growth of insects and new species since Hurricane Wilma. I personally think we are right and will go with it. Along with the new growth, there is just a lot more of them. Which can be annoying if you aren't specifically looking to study all the different species of insects and spiders. It's not so bad for me since I live on the third floor, but if i scorpion can make it in.....who knows what else can!

Anyhow, thanks to Beckla's Sergio, he finally captured a pic of this interesting spider. I tried but it was outside a window and the location of it against the daylight made it to difficult to get a decent pic. They've got this really cool crab-like shell thats spotted and comes in colors such as red, orange, white and yellow. Not sure what type of spider it is. I looked on a lot of spider websites and got really disgusted but found nothing that looked like it. Of all the spiders out there, I'd have to say, that this one looks kind of pretty and cool actually and I'm not so blecked out or scared by it. So if you do happen to read this JJ and look at the pics, do not fear, it's really not that scary.



Isn't that cool? Their shell is pretty heavy so they really struggle to stay upright and fight the wind. It's amazing and how well they can build their web considering they are toppling all over the place. Anyhow, if you know what it is, please let me know. And if it's poisonous or something, that would also be a good thing to know. Oh and also if they jump, that would be especially good to know if they are poisonous. So that way I will stop staring at them with curiosity and wonder.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 10:53 AM, March 01, 2007, Blogger JJ said…

    I need a new spider species down there waiting for me like I need another hole in the head. But really it wasn't that icky to me either. If you do find out that they jump, don't tell me.

     
  • At 3:56 PM, March 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you may have discovered a new species! Congratulations! Or maybe some kid was playing with gene splicing or cloning genitc material for science class? Maybe the hurricane blew these spiders here from some other country? HMMMM? Yeah... crazy crab spider things!!

     
  • At 4:51 PM, March 21, 2007, Blogger My Way said…

    The spider in question has been identified by Miss Rhi as a

    Spinybacked Orbweaver

    or

    Gasteracantha cancriformis

    Thank you. I don't know how you do it!

     
  • At 4:51 AM, April 24, 2009, Anonymous ilserch said…

    You know something, i used to live in Cancun long time ago, and i saw that spider on my backyard, but i couldnt take a picture of it, i have been looking for somebody who knows that specie, but i think there is nobody, i mean, its incredible, actually i dont like spiders at all, but when i see this one its just like.. really amazing, one thing is certain for me, once somebody told me, the must dangerous species in the world, they have bright colors, so.. i think u have to stay away from than spiders!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home