Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Monday, July 21, 2008

From the North

I have been busy busy busy busy! No time for rest and hardly any time to sleep! Besides that my lovely shit disturber cat Moco has been very good at keeping me up at night.

I worked this weekend at a festival our family has been doing for over 20 years. While it's fun, the days are long and tiring. There are many hippies at this festival and it can be interesting in more ways than one. Choice in clothing attire, or lack thereof took me back to Cancun. People wearing things they shouldn't or wearing not enough. In addition, we had two Mexicans working with us so I was speaking Spanish and getting kisses on the cheek just like the old days.


Some fun things:

- I've gotten lost about 4 times. I'm really getting sick of it. I don't know how this keeps happening but my sense of direction is all sorts of off. I might invest in a GPS system, because come on...I haven't been here long and have gotten lost THAT many times???? Get your shit together girl!

- Going to the gas station was all sorts of complicated. They have fancy fob thingies you put on your key chain to pay. I don't have one. When I tried to pump the gas, it wouldn't come out of the pump. There was someone behind me and I started to feel stupid so I tried swiping my credit card. No can do. That didn't work either. And the gas still wouldn't come out. So over the speaker someone is saying in a thick east indian accent, "Pump number three...something something something (in his thick accent which I don't understand) blah blah blah blah ginger!". So now I'm really embarrassed, go into the store and try to ask the dude what's up. He ignores me and points to the line, to which I'm confused about because all I was doing was asking a question.... I wasn't "budging"per se, nor was I expecting him to serve me. I was just asking a freakin question. But no, you must get in line for this. So I get in line and there's all sorts of confusion at the cash but apparently there is a new law where you have to pay before you can pump gas. Fine. Give me $30 which only gets me a half a tank btw. But here's the question. How the heck do you know how much gas you need and what it's going to cost?

- Speaking of lines...no one budges. (Except me apparently.) Everyone stands in single line and you often here people say, "Oh I'm sorry you were next.", with a response like, "Oh thank you very much but I think you were next.". Strange.....

- At the festival I noticed that women often paid when they were with men. Whether they were getting something themselves, just for the guy they were with, or for the both of them. I found this interesting and odd, and to be honest for some stupid Mexico macho reason it bothered me a little. Especially when the friend I was working with said, "Oh wow, you're a lucky guy, she's treating you!". And his response was, "I guess I just know how to pick the ones who pay." I can't tell you how much I wanted to slap him in the face, or better yet her, but I refrained. You should be proud of me.

- I love the non-sweaty crotch weather. It's nice and warm during the day with the evenings a little cooler. But it's nice. The air is crisp and sweet and I feel very non-sticky. Of course....winter is just around the corner. Stay tuned for my rants about that!

- I bought I new cell phone. The LG Shine. I like it. It's sturdy and I have a plan. It stressed me out to sign up for a 3 year contract. I think I'm a commitment phobe. But I did it because pay as you go here, is much more expensive than pay as you go Telcel style. But I have internet on it and that rocks.

- Diesel is happy to be reunited with his sisters. Diablo is not happy to be reunited with Diesel. He's an attention hog you see. But when he's not looking she finds me for love.

- People in general follow all driving rules. It's really really nice. I have had no road rage situations to report although I do get all sorts of flustered when people follow the speed limit.

- Um, you don't have a clutch, and you don't have a stick. So stop looking for it when you get in the car.

I think that's about it for now, or at least that's all I can remember.

But I do have one last thing to say.





¡¡¡¡¡
HAPPY HAPPY
BIRTHDAY
MISS BECKLA!!!!!
I make you virtual birthday cake okis?
(crunchy things are complimentary)
xxoxoxoxox

7 Comments:

  • At 11:49 AM, July 21, 2008, Blogger CancunCanuck said…

    Yay, glad to hear you are settling in. Lost? Have you been checked for Alzheimer's? Kisses to furbabies please and rant on.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, July 21, 2008, Blogger Bluestreak said…

    so glad to hear you have solved the crotch troubles for now. Oh man, they turned you into a line cutter after all that time there, hu? Yeah, yeah, I know the ole "I'm just asking a question" trick. I'm a line fascist still.

     
  • At 3:56 PM, July 21, 2008, Blogger Jonna said…

    Glad you are getting the occasional beso and using the spanish. No sweaty crotch is good, what did you do with all the baby powder when you went north? No need for it up there. What a concept! Everyone not smelling like baby powder.

    You have to take the responsibility along with the respect so pay your own way and enjoy walking down the street with all the catcalls. I think it is a good trade.

    I'm glad you're posting, I would miss you so much so you can't stop, OK?

     
  • At 3:57 PM, July 21, 2008, Blogger Jonna said…

    uh, that should have said "withOUT" all the catcalls.

     
  • At 7:08 PM, July 21, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL! Now THAT'S the Liz that I remember from the old days! I'm glad your "problems" are back to "normal" and you have maintained your wicked sense of humor....

    Looking forward to many more rants whenever you can find them & post about them.

    Michelle N Chicago

     
  • At 7:12 PM, July 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just want to say "HELLO, SWEETIE!"
    Glad you're getting settled.

    love ya!
    janie

     
  • At 12:03 PM, July 24, 2008, Blogger My Way said…

    Kel - Remember, it's been 6 years and I was driving in areas I've never driven in, in the attempt to take "short cuts". No short cuts were to be had. The other thing is this city has changed so much and is all out of sorts in preparation for the olympics in 2010. So nothing looks the same.

    Bluestreak - Let me know the next line you're in so I can skip to the front really quick. lol.

    Jonna - No stopping posting here. As for the lack of cat calls.....HEAVEN!

    Michelle - I am the ranter...I rant! lol.

    Janie - Love ya ditto!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home