Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Play Favorites

Heather has given us homework from the book No One Cares What You Had for Lunch: 100 Ideas for Your Blog, blogger tips.

I just completely stole the entire first line of this blog from Kelly. Did you even notice it or can I continue to steal blogs from her and pass them off as my own?

Anyhoo...even though Heather gave us the homework it doesn't look like she will be handing it in on time. She's trying to blame it on the fact that she has no internets but COME ON! We NEVER EVER lose the internets in Mexico! Jeesh. What a slacker!

Ok, I drew page number 12 which is titled: Play Favorites

This is what it says:

There's nothing wrong with offering recommendations, but it's possible that the world could live without another extended review of The Godfather. If you don't have time for a full-blown analysis, or if it just seems unnecessary, consider starting a brief list of the media you think readers should check out. Just name a few of the movies, books magazines, or songs that have affected you.

The hard part was having to type that out versus copying and pasting it from someone else's blog. The easy part is that I decided to share some songs with you that make me feel some sort of emotion. I mean there are probably thousands of songs that I love but for now, this is what I came up with. Keep in mind that I have a huge range of music that I like and that some of these might surprise you! (That is if you take the time to listen of course.)

First up is Luciano Pavarotti and Celine Dion singing, "I Hate You, Then I Love You". I first heard this song when I took over a previous employees computer. She had this song on her player and I fell in love with it, the words and of course these great singers. I can't help but blast it and sing it out loud. How can you not? I like to play both Pavarotti AND Celine and I pretend that I'm singing it to someone important. lol. It really is a theatrical experience, you should let me do my performance for you one day:



Next up is the song that was originally done by the band U2. I love the original and have no problems with it, but the re-make of it makes me like it even more. Mostly because I can play two parts again. lol. It is the song "One" by Bono & Mary J. Blige. I can't help but sing to it if it's playing:



I love to dance salsa and I love salsa music. There is something about dancing salsa and listing to the music and just FEELING it with your partner that is oh so cool and happy feeling. My salsa boys back home and I have a favorite song. It is a classic in the salsa world and is probably over played, but I love it. We like to call it, "The National Anthem" (of salsa music that is). You will NEVER hear it being played around us, without us dancing or singing to it. Oscar De Leon sings it and it is called "Lorraras". Basically it is about Oscar being in love with a girl who is rude and wont give him the time of day. He warns her and tells her that one day she will pay for her bad behavior towards him. Llorraras translates to mean, "you will cry" and in essence the song is about payback, because later on, when she decides to like him, he can't be bothered with her. I like it. Payback is a bitch sometimes.



This one is more on the R&B and Hip Hop tip. It is generally the genre of music that I listen to the most. It is by Mario and it is called, "Let Me Love You". Really I am in love with the beat and the tune of it but the words are cool too. It's about a girl who is mistreated by her boyfriend. Another man who is the singer, is telling her that she deserves better and that all she has to do is let him love her to show her what better is. He professes his love to her and promises to never treat her badly. Sounds good to me!



Next up is what I'd like to call a "meditation song" although its real name is "Golden Lotus". It can be found in the Buddha Bar collection. Generally Buddha Bar is a collection of worldly sounds that is most often played in restaurants or lounges. I listened to this song almost every day when I had facial paralysis, trying to bring in positive vibes so that I could heal myself. It's not a dance song by any means but is certainly relaxing and takes you to other places.



And there you have it folks. Homework complete. I hope you listen to the songs and enjoy them.

6 Comments:

  • At 11:43 PM, April 25, 2008, Blogger tacogirl said…

    I am so going to download Golden Lotus Buddha Bar rocks. Did you find it helped you heal yourself? I have been learning more about that and I really do think sound helps big time.

     
  • At 9:41 AM, April 26, 2008, Blogger My Way said…

    I will find the Volume in particular that I listened to and give you the information. I'm positive it helps. That coupled with the meditation. I honestly believe that taking that time out to focus on healing helped greatly. I have also heard that the purrr that a cat makes has healing qualities, and when you have a cat that sleeps by your head and purrs in your ear....that whatever ails you is healed faster. There is something about sound vibratons that have healing qualities. So you are correct! At least in my opinion!

     
  • At 12:50 PM, April 28, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That Mario song reminds me of driving in my car in NJ and listening to the radio... Man.... our radio is broken here, so I don't even know what's on the radio here... :(

    And that Mary J. song gave me goosebumps!

     
  • At 12:45 PM, April 29, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Loved the salsa song and the U2/Mary J. Blige song! Thanks....

    Boy, you really got off easy with the homework, eh?

     
  • At 11:55 AM, April 30, 2008, Blogger My Way said…

    Glad you guys enjoyed the music!

    TacoGirl!!! I found it. It's Buddha Bar 6 and specifically CD 1 which is called Rebirth. This is what I listed to every day while I meditated to it. You must download!!!!!!

     
  • At 8:52 PM, April 30, 2008, Blogger Bekkster said…

    Hey! I found your blog via another girl's blog about Chile.

    I'm a gringa living in Mexico too, so I thought I'd say hi.

    And that Lloraras song is definitely a must for any salsa night, as you said! I love it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home