Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Yalk-Ku Who?

A couple of weeks ago some fabulous friends of mine took me to a cenote they wanted me to see. With all the cenotes around Cancun, I've probably only seen a couple. Shame on me! I really enjoyed cenote Ik-Kil which I saw on the way to Chichen Itzen and hoped that this one was similar!

We left early (9 is early to me!) and headed on down the highway. I sang to Luis Miguel because don't you know, I actually can sing JUST LIKE HIM! Anyhoo. We were going to stop and take a look at Aktun-Chen but decided it was too expensive for just a stop-in so we headed right to cenote Yal-Ku. I must tell you I said the name about 100 times that day. Except instead of saying Yal-Ku, I thought I would say Yakult...you know the little shots you drink that taste citrus-like but have the good bacteria for your tummies? Yes? No? We won't go?

Anyhoo, I rented the works...... life-vest, snorkel, mask and flippers. I don't remember the price because I just handed my wallet to amiga to let her pay for me. I was too busy eating my 59 peso Sun Chips!!!!! It was worth it. I was desesperada for them. They were sooooooooooo fabulous btw.

It seems that all around the area they have all sorts of metal statues. I am not sure if I liked them or not. Sometimes "all-natural" is prettier than adding metal crap to paradise....but the jury is still out on this one. Some of them were interesting. Some of them confused me. Some statues were hermaphrodite-like.

When I finally saw the cenote I was super wowed. The color of blue against the green jungle and the rock formations were super pretty!!! There is a mix of fresh water and a salt water. The fresh water is from the cenote and the salt water is from the opening to the ocean. When you get closer to the ocean you will start to see a fuzzy blur in the water from the fresh and salt water mixing.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed my time there. I repeated "Ohhh Fishy!" over and over again through my snorkel and sang as I putted along under water (seriously....I did!). The snorkelling there was fabulous when we went and the fish are super duper friendly! We saw so many fish and so many different types and the best is that they are not skiddish because they are around people so much. I also really liked looking at the cave formations underwater and going through the narrow passageways.

There are also some OVER friendly iguanas. Since Yal-Ku is considered a sort of cheap "Xel-Ha" or "Xcaret", a lot of people bring their lunches. Iguanas like yer lunches!

Anyhooo! Thanks friends for taking me! I shall return I shall!

Now here are some pics:















Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM, May 19, 2008, Blogger CancunCanuck said…

    Yay, great post, great pics. I wanna see fishy fishy fishy! I love the photo of you surrounded by them, fab-u-lous!

     
  • At 11:06 PM, May 19, 2008, Blogger Islagringo said…

    Where is this place? What road did you head down? If it is landlocked, I might even get in the water! Looks huge. Loved the pic with the fishies all around you!

     
  • At 11:42 PM, May 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I LOVE Yalku lagoon...have been there several times. It's amazing to me, though...how did you ever find a way to get to Akumal without passing Playa del Carmen?? Because I know you wouldn't go past Playa del Carmen without saying Hi to me.

    Harrumph. And yes, please ignore the fact that I went to Hooters in Cancun and didn't call you.

     
  • At 12:22 AM, May 20, 2008, Blogger Jonna said…

    Hey! You were in Akumal, you drove right past my condo! Yal Ku is about 2 blocks from my house. So Wayne, now you know where it is and that you need to come over and visit again and go to Yal Ku. BTW, no sharks there, really, would I lie to you? No really, NONE.

    I haven't been over there recently, well in like 2 years, I didn't know they had tarted it up with Art. I have to pick up my free pass, you get one as a resident since they closed off the locals entrance. I still think the whole deal is hinky but, ni modo.

     
  • At 9:49 AM, May 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just LOVE all the bad art put around to junk up paradise!

    Seriously- this pristine natural area just isn't beautiful enough, hmmm, what is it missing- I know bad art! Bring it on! hahaha! Amazing!

    Hi fishy fishy, do you like hermaphrodite statues too??

     
  • At 1:47 PM, May 20, 2008, Blogger My Way said…

    Canuckla - If you want see fishy...you too can see fishy. Just go! lol.

    Wayne - This place is my backyard. I charge admission. Not much, 150 pesos, I will give you directions after you pay.

    Heather - I was not driving. And frankly I was too busy singing to notice where the heck we were. As for the hooters. You dun had a FAIL right them therrr!

    Jonna - Yes, I probably drove right by. Except I wasn't driving. You see how easily I get out of tricky situations. Actually I was thinking of you guys and figured you wouldn't be home anyways! I did not see sharks but I would have welcomed some nurse ones. Go get yer free pass will ya!

    Lisa - I liked one of the statues...I should post it. It's odd and interesting and had me staring at it more than once. I felt a little weird about it though....not sure why???

    Anonymous - I know you haven't posted a comment, but you really should just get over it. You can even do it anon. and sign it with a "T". As in "_ _ _ _ the Tiger".

     
  • At 7:41 AM, May 22, 2008, Blogger Fned said…

    Wow!

    Neat pics Liz... although swimming with fishies (no matter how cute) and diving in closed underwater caves are two things that make me nervous.... yes, I'm a sissy like that.

    But the clear turquoise water, the beautiful blue sky and your awesome tan look wonderful... sure changes to the gray, cold, crap excuse of a springtime we've got going on here.

    Fned.

     
  • At 9:42 AM, May 22, 2008, Blogger My Way said…

    Fned... Just remember how many people want to flock to Paris! lol But I get what you are saying!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home