Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Chichen Itza.....At Last!

After all the vacations I've taken and the 4-1/2 years I've lived here, can you believe I have never gone to Chichen Itza? Sick I know. But I've been now so I've finally put that to an end! For some reason the timing was never right or I wanted to do other things. My advice to you if you want to see Chichen Itza is to do so when it's the "cooler season" because otherwise you will die of the heat and go blind from the blaring sun. Anywhere between November and now is ok. Even the month of April is kind of pushing it. Especially for those who are use to cold weather. One woman from the Pacific Northwest (I heart you pnw) said that she couldn't wait to get back home where it was cold. So keep that in mind!

I took the easy way out and dragged that Becky on a tour with me and boy oh boy did we have some fun! In addition to Chichen Itza, we also drove through Valladolid, a very quaint and colonial town which is worlds away from the blitz of Cancun. We also, and for me this really was a super extra special bonus, stopped at cenote (water sink hole) Ik-Kil. Ik-Kil means "Place of the Winds". It was absolutely fabulous . My first cenote. I can't tell you how amazing it was. It really was a great day.

As I promised, here are some pics:


Corner store in Valladolid:



Street in Valladolid (pretty...nothing like this in downtown Cancun):

Cenote Ik-Kil from above:
Stairways leading down to cenote:
Looking up from cenote:


Me after my first swim in a cenote! About time!:
Midway platform where people were jumping off into the water. The light was hitting the water just right:
It looks like i'm not going to get to the Chichen Itza pics today but I promise to post them later. It's sushi and bucks time with Beckla.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 9:18 PM, April 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very nice pics, Elizabeth!

    I'm glad you finally got to see Chichen Itza, we went in 1985.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

    janie

     
  • At 6:40 PM, April 08, 2007, Blogger JJ said…

    We need to get you to Merida. I have been in that cenote, it's way bitchin. Looking forward to your next chapter.

     
  • At 11:02 PM, April 08, 2007, Blogger My Way said…

    Yes I do need to go to Merida. But I have been to Puebla and and from the pictures they seem very similar....loved Puebla.

     
  • At 5:57 PM, April 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't even believe that was your first cenote!!!!!!! WTF do you do here woman...?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home