Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Breaking Huevos

If you have a sense of humor and you know a little bit of Spanish and double meanings in Spanish, the title of this blog may make you giggle a bit.

I could just say, "Breaking Balls" and be done with it but I really DO mean "Breaking Eggs", so get your mind out of the gutter.

(Although, if I could break a few balls today I certainly would, there are many who deserve their balls to be broken and much worse. Ok...now I have to get MY mind out of the gutter. Jeesh. This is hard! MUST. PLAY. FAIR.)

Last night I had some eggs for dinner. I made scrambled eggs (yeah I know not too exciting). But they are healthy and have protein in them and are easy to make. So I went a cracking. And when I was cracking these eggs into the bowl, I became increasingly irritated.

Why are Mexican egg shells so freakin hard??? You have to like bash them 5 times against the bowl and when you do you are ALWAYS going to break the egg yolk. Which isn't much fun when you want eggs sunny side up....but believe me, I gave up on those a long time ago because it is just impossible to do. Ok not totally impossible, but I didn't exactly want 6 eggs, I just wanted TWO.

And the other thing about the eggs, besides having super duper super hero hard shell tendencies, is that the yolks are like stuck to the shell, so even if you do break the egg carefully, they are stuck to the shell and then the skin around the yolk breaks and the yolk oozes out screaming "YOU FAILED SUCKER!".

What if you wanted to make devilled eggs? They would be all sorts of screwed up. The egg yolk would be at the very edge with no border to hold it in and the devilled egg part would be all hangin out the side. Like this:

Thats just not pretty.

So yeah, I have a small issue with the huevos here. Maybe it's just me though. I've kinda come to that conclusion because I seem to be the only one that comes up with this stupid shit.

P.S. I have pics from the weekend so stay tuned.




Labels:

9 Comments:

  • At 3:46 PM, February 13, 2008, Blogger Jonna said…

    {{So yeah, I have a small issue with the huevos here.}}

    OK, that's got to be the funniest part of your post. Sorry, I'm laughing too hard to think about the real egg problem. My first thought though is that the harder the shell the healthier the chicken - but maybe not.

     
  • At 4:03 PM, February 13, 2008, Blogger My Way said…

    Ok I just looked it up. It seems that if the chicken has a calcium rich diet, their egg shells will be harder.

    So either the chicken food is high in calcium, or they are drinking wayyyy too much water from the tap.

    Maybe I should let them know that Cristal or Electropura is probably a better choice?

    Oh well. No hay huevo.

     
  • At 4:34 PM, February 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At least they didn't have blood in them. God, that gives me the willies.

     
  • At 4:38 PM, February 13, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow- I thought the egg yolks stuck to the side and made unpretty deviled eggs because I boiled them wrong! (I mean I am a real blonde after all- so I just assumed I screwed it up)

    What a relief to know it's the eggs- not me! *huge sigh of relief*

     
  • At 2:59 AM, February 14, 2008, Blogger Fned said…

    I had never noticed this about eggs in Mexico (granted, I don't cook, it's not in my aptitudes rap sheet) but now that you mention it, I'll have to notice what kind of egg shells we get in Paris...

    And by the way: Runny (or Deviled) Eggs??? EIIIiiiiiiiiwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!

    Fned (who can't eat anything with a "baboso" consistancy) :)

     
  • At 12:01 PM, February 14, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am cursed to make deviled eggs at every gathering here because I made the somewhat catastrophic mistake of making some rockin' ones at one of my first parties here, so now everyone demands them. The problem? The eggs here are too fresh (I mean, they are so fresh they still have poop and feathers on the outsides for god's sake) and they are an ungodly bitch to peel. I use up my monthly quota of swear words when I have to peel hard boiled eggs here.

    The trick is to buy the eggs and let them sit in the fridge for a week or so before boiling them. And then, don't overcook them.

    I've had success lately with the fried eggs...my achilles heel is when I have to flip the suckers over. I've found it's easiest if I use about a pound of butter in the pan.

     
  • At 9:02 AM, February 15, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah- I like to have a boiled egg as part of my breakfast regularly here. I noticed that they have harder shells (of course, I thought- hmm, they're probably natural chickens, not genetically modified like US ones, which is why the shells are so thick... These chickens probably still have wings and beaks!)

    Anyway- my trick is to get the hot, boiled egg out and rub it with an ice cube before peeling it. That way it shrinks back a little from the shell and peels like the eggs at home do...

     
  • At 8:32 PM, February 15, 2008, Blogger Theresa in Mèrida said…

    I just cracked up! We used to have chickens and I got used to the harder shells and the richer colour of the yolks. Then we moved and stopped raising chickens. For a really long time I would totally destroy the store bought eggs when I went to crack them. I was so used to having to really whack them that I smashed the factory ones to pieces.
    regards,
    Theresa

     
  • At 10:33 PM, March 19, 2008, Blogger Islagringo said…

    OMG! LMAO!I bitch everytime I have to crack an egg. I thought it was just me! And always, without fail, I have to pick pieces of shell out of the bowl. Where it flew when I cracked the egg with a hammer to get it open!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home