Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Thursday, February 07, 2008

Bomba Espionage

No, not "bomb" as explosives......I mean "bomba" as in pump.

In my last two apartments we had a "bomba" (pump) room on the ground floor. There was one bomba for each apartment. We had our tincos (water holding tank) on the roof and when the water reached a low level, the bomba would pump the water from sisterna (the holding tank next to the bomba on the ground floor), up to the tinaco on the roof.

It's simple enough as long as everything is working. And if it's not, then screw you, no water unless you go and fill your buckets up and bring it up to the roof. This is of course assuming that Aguakan (water company) is still pumping water into your sisterna. Where I lived it would pump water into the sisterna at around 8:30 p.m. at night. If you used a lot of water that day and didn't have any more in your sisterna or tinaco, you were out of luck until oh, about 8:30 p.m.! And god forbid a hurricane swings by for a visit, you might be waiting longer than you'd like.

Anyhow, not my last apartment, but the apartment before, there was a house that was behind me and they had their stupid bomba outside. It was strategically placed outside my bedroom window and for some reason the bomba when nutso and decided to run non-stop and pump water to the roof and then overflow at ungodly hours. Whether or not they were out of water didn't matter much. Because the F'n pump would run anyways and make nasty motor sounds that a healthy bomba would never make. I don't think the people that lived there gave a shit. If they did, they would have done something about the non-stop overflow of water flowing and the nasty screech of the motor.

My roommate got fed up and frankly he couldn't deal with my bitching anymore so he took about a litre of oil over there in the dark of the night and poured it over the bomba. Don't ask me why he thought this would work, or why I'm so nasty as to not stop him from doing this. But in the end, it made the motor quieter and in time the stupid house owners finally did something about it before I went and bomba'd their house like I bomba'd that gas truck.

Well sometimes the same problem will creep up on you no matter where you are. I am recently going through the same hatred for a certain bomba just outside my window. Where I live now, all of the bombas are in the back area of the apartment buildings and there are no tinacos on the roof. So every time someone flushes or turns on the tap, a bomba goes off. Right now there are about 10 or so bombas going off here and there outside my bedroom window.

Sure this can be annoying. However, I can comprehend the reasoning behind in, and wrap my brain around the noise and become one with it. As long as they are working away like a symphony of mechanics and are all healthily purring away, I can respect the sound that they spew into my ear drums.

But for the love of god (JJ'ism), DO YOU NOT FUCKING NOTICE THAT YOUR BOMBA IS HAVING A SEIZURE 24/7??????

What the hell is wrong with people? Your pump is only suppose to go on when you use water. It's not suppose to run constantly sounding all horrible and sick and it's not suppose to click on and off like its convulsing. How is it these people do not give a shit?? I KNOW they hear it. I'm certain of it. Let me tell you why.

I went back there the other night (when it was dark of course) and I saw a red light on the bomba in question. I pushed the button and lucky me, I ended up turning the stupid pump off. I felt content with myself and walked away like the bomba espionage woman that I am. I had contemplated ripping the mother f'n wires out and screaming "DAMN YOU PEOPLE" but I didn't. I was nicer than that. I pushed a button. Thats it.

About an hour later I am on my twist and shape workout machine when I see flashlights outside. They are trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I giggle to myself but hope that this will give them the push they need to get someone in there to look at the damn thing. They leave defeated and I breathe a sigh of relief. But about a half hour later the guy comes down and figures out where the button is and BAM. Skitzo seizure bomb comes back to life. Since it's making noises now, the guy doesn't seem to give a shit that it doesn't sound right and goes back upstairs to flush his toilet.

I can't tell you how much I hope that the bomba just burns itself out. I guess that hasn't crossed these people's minds in the slightest. I guess we shall wait and see what happens.

In the meantime I hope their pump gets healthy for it's own sake, because a full moon is always just around the corner and you never know who will turn into a psycho bitch.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At 6:17 PM, February 07, 2008, Blogger Catalyst said…

    When I lived in Mexico, I became convinced that the natives have an entirely different attitude about noise levels than do norteamericanos.

     
  • At 10:35 PM, February 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, she's getting mad again, cool!

     
  • At 11:31 PM, February 07, 2008, Blogger 'Eddie Willers' said…

    A fine story that perfectly illustrates the typical Mexican attitude of "I don't give a flying f**k what effect my assholeiness is having on you".

    In the overgrown jungle behind our house is a formerly grand house. Their servant's quarters are adjacent to our back wall. The other day, we have water seeping through that wall at ever increasing rates. Call Plumber. Plumber says that he suspects a broken water line on the other side of the wall in neighbor's garden. Call neighbor to ask if plumber can go and take a look. neighbor says 'No'.

    I tell Plumber to drop a ladder from the roof in to the garden, find the leaky pipe and cut the pinche thing - we have a lake in our patio and ground floor. Plumber does as instructed, receives payment and leaves.

    Neighbor calls lawyers and threaten legal action if plumber doesn't return (at our expense) to reinstate water line...bear in mind, plumber had to (hack with large machete) much brush and undergrowth to reach the old stone sink that had the leaky pipe, so it's not like the muchacha is gonna' do the laundry there any time soon.

    As Earl Shorris describes it, "Inside the Family - everything. Outside the family - nothing".

     
  • At 7:52 AM, February 08, 2008, Blogger Fned said…

    At least be thankful that the bomba is NOT in your bedroom (like at my parents' place where the bomba is IN the masterbedroom!!!!!!!)

    :D
    Fned.

     
  • At 10:28 AM, February 08, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The regulation float in my neighbor's tinaco is broken and his pump doesn't know when to shut off, so water overflows regularly off his roof and floods our yard. Like, daily. And has for 2 years. He just rents so doesn't want to spend the money to get a new float, but he'll pay the ridiculously high water bill each month for the wasted water.

    *sigh*

     
  • At 11:08 AM, February 08, 2008, Blogger Mamacita Chilena said…

    I'd like to see this turn into a game-keep turning off their bomba and see how long it will take for them to realize what's wrong with it...

    That is really rude though, and I can totally imagine the same thing happening here. Across the street they are remodeling the inside of the house and they use a chain saw until like 2 in the morning. A CHAIN SAW. Have a little common courtesey! I called the police on them, MWAHAHAHA.

     
  • At 1:13 AM, February 09, 2008, Blogger minshap said…

    oops... fned already told on me! It's true! The bomba in our house is in OUR BEDROOM! One good thing about having a bomba in your bedroom - you NEVER LEAVE IT ON FOR MORE THAN THE NECESSARY 5 to 8 minutes! Also, if it ever starts making sick noises, you KNOW we will be on it ASAP! And finally, when I have to turn on the bomba at 4:30 am (when I get up), I can feel good knowing that though my poor partner is being blasted out of his dreams, at least the neighbors won't be!

     
  • At 9:48 AM, February 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And to think I wanted to come and visit you, I'm not sooooooo sure anymore if I have to listen to that f----- bomba

     

Post a Comment

<< Home