Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A "Simple" Trip to the Kickboxing Gym

Last week I had an urge to check out a few places to see if they had any decent kickboxing.

One of the places had "Boxing" and "Kickboxing" painted huge on the outside walls. This place is just up from Kabah on Lopez Portillo so if you pass by there, take a look and please confirm that that is what it really says because apparently I can't read or something.

I arrived and went up the stairs to ask questions about the classes. I spoke in Spanish but I shall just post in English. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Hello, do you have kickboxing classes here?

Him: No.

Me: Ok, do you have boxing classes here?

I figure if there's not kickboxing, boxing is the closest to it.

Him: No.

He then proceeds to look at me like I just asked him for ballet classes and like I have three heads. Angered and frustrated by this I say....

Me: Well, I'm simply asking because you have boxing and kickboxing painted all over the front of your building. You don't have any classes?

Him: Oh well we don't have an instructor right now. But we have boxing simple (pronounced "simplay").

Me: What's boxing simple?

Him: It's where you train one on one with me. It's just like boxing and you do the same routine but you do it with me.

So I'm thinking, basically it's one on one private training. Thats something! So then I ask....

Me: Ok, so when are the classes?

Him: Oh well we don't have an instructor right now.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

???????????????????????????????????

So I left. More confused than when I walked in and I didn't even have a punching bag to take out my frustrations on.

There was nothing "SIMPLE" about that!

Zut! (thats for Fned)

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • At 6:39 AM, November 15, 2007, Blogger FamKick said…

    WOW,

    Strang I must say, sounds to me like he was not al their, or simply ashamed to say he's club was shut down for the time being,

    Good luck on your search for a club, in the meantime, feel free to check out our clubs website

    www.familykickboxing.homestead.com

    Enjoy, Al

     
  • At 7:49 AM, November 15, 2007, Blogger CancunCanuck said…

    Awww, such is life in Cancun. Sounds like when I went to Pollo Pirata for pollo and they didn't have any pollo.

     
  • At 9:42 AM, November 15, 2007, Blogger My Way said…

    They did that at Kentucky too!!!

    "Lo que pasa es que...no tenemos pollo!"

     
  • At 10:06 AM, November 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe you should have said, I want to come in, what time can I start?

     
  • At 3:22 PM, November 15, 2007, Blogger Fned said…

    Sounds to me like the guy was coming on to you .... "yo doy las classes the boxeo en privado..." WTF???

    Next time you can answer:

    "no guey... you quiero un profe de a verdad, no mamadas".... or something like that... ;)

    Fned.

    PS. You can also say "flute!" - I learned this one not too long ago as I'm trying to expand my vocabulary to avoid systematically using "merde!".

     
  • At 5:02 PM, November 16, 2007, Blogger CancunCanuck said…

    Ok girl, you've been tagged!

    http://cancuncanuck.blogspot.com/2007/11/8-random-things-about-cancun-canuck.html

     
  • At 9:14 PM, November 16, 2007, Blogger Jennifer said…

    LOL - this reminds me when I went to Guatemala. I was somewhere near the presidents house in Guatemala City, and there was a guy selling shaved ice/snowball type thing. So I went to get one, and he asked me what color I wanted. I looked at the bottles he had on his cart, red, orange, yellow and green. So I said green, and he said no we dont have green, we have orange and red. I said, well right here is green, can I have some of this. His answer, I only have orange and red. So again, dummy me, I pointed out the green to him and said this is green. I want some green please. No green - only red and orange. So I asked him for red, and said I want this red - again, pointing to the gree. guess what color I got. Orange. Even though I said red.
    ~Jennifer
    (I came to you via Kelly's blog)

     
  • At 1:14 PM, November 17, 2007, Blogger My Way said…

    Yeah um...I just don't get it. LOL.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, July 30, 2013, Blogger ABUL YUSSUF said…



    gooday
    am Nigeria amateur bantam weight champ i want u to get me a manager
    that will work on my visa to your country i need your cell phone number
    am just 21 yrs of age i have loss my parent i need you help nice i
    want to turn to a pro boxer under your banner
    meeting you
    best regard


    my mobile...+2348024201707
    adenijiyusuf24@gmail.com
    my link. http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Jason/Petock1030a09.htm

    ,

     
  • At 11:35 AM, May 23, 2017, Blogger Best Gym in Calgary said…

    Nice post abut "A Simple Trip to the Kickboxing Gym" & I would like to recommend http://www.mikemiles.com for Kids Gym Trainers Calgary.

     
  • At 3:44 AM, January 31, 2018, Blogger Kaizen IBBA said…

    Impressive list! You're giving so much of information. Thanks for the post.Keep it up. Self defense training in Fort Collins, Colorado

     

Post a Comment

<< Home