Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

All Is Well Here & Dean Continues His Path

Looks like we escaped the wrath of Dean which is good for us but not so good for those south of us in the area of Chetumal ("Cheetomall" as news reporters like to call it). Here is where it's at right now:
I haven't put my satellite back up or checked the internet yet but I'm sure it's bad. I guess there is no way to really tell unless you watch some LOCAL news stations because like Joyce says, unless Cancun got destroyed, no one cares about the rural areas.

I am quite tired but that's because I stayed up late talking with everyone about what was going on. I had a couple of annoyances with people's stupidity last night. One person asked if I was boarding up the windows. Um, it's dark, I'm not exactly capable of doing it alone while it's rainy and windy and about 3 hours away from when it should get pretty serious. The other stupid thing was an email asking if I was ok and to email ASAP. Uh. If I wasn't ok, and it was bad, how do you suppose I email ya? And thanks for emailing me in the midst of it. We've known about this for a week. How about you pick up the phone two days ago to get a report on where I am with the preps? Also, get a map and learn where the hell Cancun is in relation to the Yucatan. Guess what folks, just cuz it's Mexico, doesn't mean it's Cancun. Lordy. You would think people would learn a thing or two from Wilma. But instead, they just piss you off with their ignorance and then get uppidy when you try and tell them otherwise. Whatever.

Don't ask me how the beaches are either. Because my first priority is not to run out there and see so that I can hit them this weekend. I guess I'm just bitter from Wilma. It was pretty bad and I don't know. Lots of people are obviously oblivious to it. Either that or they are oblivious to how hurricanes work and how to prepare and that sort of thing. Just take my word for it, if I say it's pretty tame out there, don't argue with me because you are in Canada watching the weather channel showing satellites of a cat 5 hurricane that is not in our path. and you KNOW BETTER!

Ok. Sorry for the rant.

Here are all three of the kids late last night just waiting it out together peacefully. Birds of a feather....


Here's a video clip from the same perspective as yesterday to survey the damage. Bottom line, there isn't any. Someone lost the lid to their tinaco because they didnt' screw it on tight. No biggie:



And this is this morning. We have green in the hood so we are in the good!

This is down my street. There are some big puddles but nothing major. All is well.

I thought this area would be seriously flooded but it's just fine thank god:


Diesel was able to go out for number 1 and and 2 but he stuck to the sidewalk where it was dry:

I can only hope that those feeling the effects of Hurricane Dean are hanging in there. It's scary stuff. I'll be thinking of you.

Thanks for checking in.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 8:05 PM, August 21, 2007, Blogger JJ said…

    Still bitter that I never got to see your new pad. But green in the hood is DEFINITELY good!

     
  • At 7:08 AM, August 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there, I'm also an expat (mexican) living far away from home in a strange country (France). I'm glad Cancun, Tulúm and the rest of the "turistic" places weren't badly hit (I read this morning that Chichen, Uxmal, etc. made it ok)... what can I say? As your friend said, the only news we get here is about Cancun and other vacation-leaflet "worthy" cities. I have family in Mérida, hope they're ok, haven't heard from them but maybe the internet is down. Great blog by the way... love reading about my fellowmen's excentricities seen through the eyes of an extremely eloquent person! :) Hang in there!

     
  • At 12:10 AM, August 23, 2007, Blogger JJ said…

    Hey Anonymous - just wanted to let you know that there is a blog by a couple (expat from California) living in Merida and according to them Merida was largely unscathed. So your family should be fine, just probably outside sweeping up. If you get homesick her site is www.yucatanliving.com - lots of great info regarding my favorite city in Mexico. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home