Mexico "Way"

My stupid blurbs about anything and everything.....in addition to the ups and downs of living in Cancun, Mexico.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Geniuses at Walmart

As I'm getting in line at Walmart last night I see a tourist asking one of the employees if she speaks English. The employee nodds no and is stressed out so I chime in and ask the woman what she needs. The employee is relieved and the woman comes over and says, "Do you speak English?".

I have to stop here and tell you that it ALREADY appears to me that I'm dealing with an idiot. I was clearly speaking English when I asked "What do you need?" and there was no accent of the sort, so why would you ask me if I speak English after I clearly spoke English to you? What is it about being around other people's languages that makes you not able to recognize that someone is speaking to you in YOUR language? Ugh.

So I say yes (DUH!) and she says she wants to pay for this (t-shirt) with a travellers cheque but wants to get US dollars back. I said no, you won't get dollars back you'll get pesos back. She says, "But I don't want pesos back. I want dollars back!".

Oh dear. Yep we really have a smart one here folks. I'm fuming on the inside already but I calmly say back, "You're in Mexico, buying something in a Mexican store, you're going to get pesos back. This is not a bank. This is Walmart.".

She tells me that she was here before and that she went to the bank before she left to change her pesos back to dollars. I told her she can certainly do that. But that she would still get pesos back because she is at Walmart, not a bank. I told her that she's in another country and would be dealing with the currency of that country, and not the currency of HER country.

I even went so far as to tell her that the exchange rate at Walmart was really good, and told her what the difference was compared to the cambios (exchange houses) on the street.

She still whined, "I don't want pesos!".

So I said, look you're going to get pesos back if thats the way you are going to pay (I don't even know if they accept travellers cheques to tell you the truth but I wasn't even going to mention that). They not only accept credit cards at Walmart, but also have bank machines there, so if she was so freakin stressed out about getting Pesos in MEXICO she should have just paid that way.

She left and didn't say thank you.

And you wonder why violent images are a constant vision in my head.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 1:07 PM, April 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is a perfect example of why I don't offer to help tourists. Call me unhelpful, but its better than ending up in a Mexican jail for strangling an idiot.

     
  • At 4:52 PM, April 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    These are the same bum lickers that ride the bus and wander around my neigbourhood (did spell that right in Canadian??) looking for WalMart and then complaining about how much farther it is when I do tell them where it is- as if I could change it's location just for thier doody pleasure.

     
  • At 5:13 PM, April 26, 2007, Blogger My Way said…

    It really is frustrating. On Saturday some dude walked up off the beach into the beach club and asked if he could get a picture of me and Leta. It's not like he was hanging out there and had been talking to us for a couple of hours. Note to vacationers: You can't just do whatever the hell you want, or expect things to be however you want them, JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE ON VACATION. Use your brain. Do you walk up to people back home and ask for their pictures or bitch that you can't get change in Euros? Dangit. It's not rocket science. Or even algae science. Can't get more simple than algae but yet it's super complicated! ALGAE!

     
  • At 4:15 AM, May 08, 2007, Blogger Princessofdarkness said…

    what about the idiots who want an american keyboard in a computer in an internet cafe...ive ran into those and ive been tempted to totally bitchslap them LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home